Saturday, October 30, 2010

Week 7-Midterm Reflection

This week was spent on the hip muscles on our manikens, as well as a long, 2 hour pose. I am struggling with my maniken. I spend a lot of time on the muscles and I really look at the images in the book, but I can never seem to make them look correct. I also feel like I have extra muscles on my maniken, but I'm not sure where they came from. I have already started over completely from scratch once and I have a feeling that might happen again before semester's end!



I also spent quite a bit of time on the long pose during class. I don't think I had ever spent 2 hours drawing any one thing before, so that was a new experience for me. I tend to draw really quickly, so slowing down has been a challenge, but I do think it is a good thing to learn. The extra time allows me to observe really closely as well as to erase and start over if necessary. I ran into some difficulty when drawing the top half of the body. I originally drew it too tall which made the figure look out of proportion. The sketch Amy did for me as an example was very helpful in allowing me to see what was 
actually in front of me rather than what I thought was in front of me. 




Midterm Reflection: 

I am a little bit shocked to find myself in the midst of midterms already. It seems to go so quickly, and the closer I get to my graduation date the faster it seems to go. I am satisfied with the progress I have made from the beginning of the semester until now. I have improved greatly and my understanding of the human form and how it moves has expanded to a deeper level. When I look back on the gesture drawings that were done during the first week of class, I can see how my understanding has broadened. The sense of movement in the figures has changed dramatically as well as the proportions and shapes of the forms. That being said, there is still much room for more improvements. I expect myself to improve as much in the second half of the semester as I did in the first half. In art, one is never done developing and learning. I hope to continue this process and am excited to see where my drawings will be in another 6 weeks. To see the progress I have made via my midterm portfolio, click here. 

2 comments:

  1. I think the contour drawing that you posted was done pretty nicely. I want to say that I like how you drew the hair, it looks like hair. That doesn't happen when I draw hair, not usually anyway. I think I have maybe a %1 success rate for drawing hair. I think you captured the shape of the model quite well but I think that the shape might be better described with a few less contours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this gestural drawing... the spine might bend a bit too much but overall the lines are very very nice... you gave the viewer just enough information to be able to imagine where the models arms and legs are...

    ReplyDelete