Friday, September 10, 2010

Introduction


Buffalo, Erica Mathieson, 2009

My name is Erica and I am an art education student. Art is my passion and I can't think of anything greater to do with this gift than to inspire the minds of the young to create art as well. I will forever be a child at heart and that is reflected in my work. I am excited to broaden my technical skills in drawing the human form as it will enrich my life much more than just artistically. I find that drawing the human form, specifically the face, allows me to feel more connected to humanity, both my own and that of others. It helps me to relate to others, as well as helps me to feel as though perhaps I am not as different from everyone else as I sometimes feel. I look forward to what I will learn and feel during the semester to come.








George, Erica Mathieson, 2009

I am also looking forward to this course because drawing is my favorite media to work in. I have always thought in pictures, so drawing comes most naturally to me. I can use my drawing tool as an extension of my self and allow my hands to do the thinking. I do not get the same freedom of expression with painting or other medias, however I do still enjoy working in them.

I am inspired by dreams and fantasy and enjoy incorporating those elements into my work. I create in my art the things I will never get to see in "real life". I feel as though it allows for an experience that both the artist and the viewer get to partake in. I hope to discover how to allow some of that to shine through in my life drawing pieces this semester. 





Surrealism Series, Erica Mathieson, 2009





1 comment:

  1. I, very much, enjoy "Buffalo". The whimsy and color palette is very refreshing to me.

    ReplyDelete