Monday, September 27, 2010

Week 2




I got to have my first experience with drawing a live model this week. As all new things, it was exciting, but also a little intimidating. I was surprised that some of the gestural drawings came intuitively for me, but the longer drawings did not. It seemed the more time I had to look at the forms and try to translate them through onto my paper, the more obscure and difficult it became. Perhaps this is a result of thinking too much, or maybe it's just a normal response. 

We also did gesture drawings in which we only drew the long axis lines. I struggle with this type of gesture drawing because it is difficult for me to see the long axis within some of the forms. I also feel like they end up looking like stick people rather than gestural drawing of a live model. This process did not come as naturally to me as the former gestural drawings, however I think this is the type of drawing that the teacher is looking for. I only hope I get better at finding the long axis and translating it into my drawings. It is supposed to describe the figure and define the pose with as few lines as possible, but mine is certainly not doing that, at least not at this point!

I have also started working on "Sergi" my Maniken. We were assigned the Spinal Erectors, which were extremely difficult for me. I have always been more of a 2-D artist, so thinking in 3-D is a little more difficult for me. I feel like the muscles look flat and mis-shaped, as well as a little atrophied. I spent quite a bit of time on these muscles, but I'm not sure you would know it by looking at them! I do hope I improve with this process throughout the semester. 

No comments:

Post a Comment