Friday, November 19, 2010

Week 10


Class was cancelled on Tuesday, but Thursday was spent practicing and learning how to apply ink to our shell drawings. I think I finally got the drawing the cross contour shell, which made me nervous to dump ink all over it. I spent a lot of time observing the form and creating the lines so they moved across the form and defined the shape, rather than making the form look striped and flat. I used a brown and yellow pigment which had some shimmer in the ink. I wasn’t sure if the shimmer would be a problem, but I found it to be very subtle and it wasn’t as distracting as I thought it might be. I started very quietly with the ink, afraid of wrecking the drawing, but I soon discovered that I needed to be less afraid and use the ink intentionally and definitely. It was good thing to practice, as it helped me to be less nervous about the ink. I found the shell I did for practice to be too washy and the ink didn’t help define the form. That is something I will have to work out for the final drawing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment