Friday, November 26, 2010

Week 11

We only had one day of class this week due to Thanksgiving Break. The day was spent at the Walker and the Bell Museum. I had just been to the Walker a few weeks prior, but it was nice to go back and look at things I had missed on the previous trip. One piece that I really enjoyed was a piece of what looked like thin tinfoil that moved and hovered above the ground. It was captivating in its slow, subtle movements and the way the light caught the foil as it moved. It sparked a sort of child-like fascination in me, as it seemed almost magical in the way it moved, visually independent from any force. After the Walker, we went to the Bell museum of Natural History. I really enjoyed this museum as well. It was interesting to see the animals in what would be their natural habitats. Many of the animals were very familiar to me, however some were not. I have always thought it was cool to see the fake water they use to place the ducks and other aquatic animals in. I enjoy seeing the surface above the water as well as the surface below. It is something that I would not be able to see in typical, everyday life, which is what I enjoy in art. While we were at the Bell, we were asked to do a drawing of one of the animals. I chose the crane, because I enjoyed its legs and feet and found something slightly human about them. I am fairly satisfied with how my drawing turned out, I only wish there had been more time to do another drawing of something more "skeletal" or something that could relate to class more. Overall, I think it was a positive experience.

1 comment:

  1. Great drawing of the crane. I think you did a great job capturing not only the pattern of the feathers but even the underlying musculature of the wing. I also can see the almost human like form of the feet with each "finger" being made up of multiple bones.

    ReplyDelete