Friday, December 3, 2010

Week 12


This week was spent learning about the shoulder blades. I was glad we spent some time on this, because when I did gesture drawings my figure's arms always looked detached, or somehow disconnected from the torso. The shoulder blades helped me to bridge that gap and my drawings look more successful because of it. We spent some time doing gesture drawings which included the shoulder blades. This was good, because after having a week off for Thanksgiving, I needed some time to practice and get back in the swing of drawing again. It's amazing how much you forget after what seems like such a short time. I do think my gesture drawings are improving and are more accurate formally. 










 


For the second half of class, we worked on a long pose. I am actually pretty excited because I think it is by far the most successful long pose I have done as of yet. The form and proportion are accurate and the figure has depth, which is what has been a difficult concept for me to create in my life drawings. It has been much easier for me to draw and create depth while drawing from a 2-D image, because it is easier for my brain to translate something 2-D into a 2-D drawing than it is to translate a 3-D form into a 2-D drawing. I am glad that I am understanding this concept better, because it is something I have felt a little self-conscious about in my art classes.







I hope I will be able to apply my better understanding of the shoulder blades to creating the muscles on my Maniken. I have been dreading doing that assignment, to be honest, because while I understand that it important and useful, the Maniken has been a very frustrating, exasperating experience for me. 

1 comment:

  1. I really love your long drawing! The contours are great and there are enough lines to get the points across. Your proportions look really good as well. And you can see the muscles which is really great. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete