Friday, December 10, 2010

Week 13

 This week, our third shell contour drawing was due. This drawing also included an ink wash, which I was nervous about at first, but wound up really enjoying the ink. I had never worked with ink before, but have always enjoyed the way it looked and the mood it conveyed. The object of the assignment was to define the form of the shell with the contours in a way that somebody who had no knowledge of what a shell looked like would be able to define it. I’m not sure if my lines were successful in that sense, but I do think it was the best contour drawing I have done to date. The ink was supposed to suggest water and represent the waves of the ocean. The ink and the lines were supposed to relate to each other, almost as though the waves formed the shell. Again, I’m not sure if my ink relates overly well to the form of the shell, but I do find it successful from a visual standpoint.



We also spent time on the hand this week. We didn’t spend a lot of time on the hand, because they are very similar to the feet, which we spent a good amount of time on already. It was good to learn about the planes of the hand, because whenever I drew thumbs, they turned out looking strange and almost disconnected from the rest of the hand. Amy explained that this is because the thumb is located on the side plane of the hand, while the rest of the fingers are on the top plane. Good to know!


 We also went over the skull this week. I was excited for this, because the face is one of my favorite subjects to draw. It was interesting to learn about the internal structure of the skull and the cranium and how that related to the face the facial features. Amy explained that the eye sockets were one of the most important features to convey, which is contrary to what many people think. I am pleased with the way my drawings turned out this week, because I can see that I am making progress, which is always encouraging! 









5 comments:

  1. I am excited to see how your second shell turns out since you did such a great job on the first one. The ink drawings are fun once you get a hold of learning how to control the ink. Good luck on your last one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the skull you drew was gorgeous! I envy your line work! I like how you broke down the shapes into more geometric forms! you definitely have a good understanding of the shape of the skull!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the color choice that you made for your shell ink drawing. It really adds to the form. I would say that for this last drawing you should try to push the shadows and highlights further, but it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also think that your skull is really great! Your lines are great and you really captured the roundness (I'm not sure how else to describe that). Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES! Here we are! That shell is simply amazing. I remember when I saw in class and noticed how unique it was from all the others. You used the warm colors to great effect and in a way that makes the piece almost seem like it's on fire! Those lines and sharp edges create an awesome stylization. I'd love to save this picture, but the photo you took is a little blurry, unfortunately. Incredible work, though!

    ReplyDelete